Tuesday, March 19, 2013

3D Orthogonal Draft - less muddy?

I realized my post yesterday was probably pretty unclear, without a draft. Here is my best attempt at a draft:


That does convey more-or-less what I'm doing, in that if you were to thread this up and weave it you should get the same result, but it does not convey well how it actually works on the loom.

In reality, all the purple picks in each of those triangles of purple stack up on top of each other, so I have 7 picks of purple one atop another, as I look down at the fell. Then I change the tabby shed in the black/gray/white threads on 1234. Because they fell is really tall, from all those purple wefts, the black/gray/white threads end up going all the way from top to bottom of this stack of yarns, or vice versa, when I change sheds. A little dot of black or gray or white shows on the top & bottom surfaces, the rest of the thread goes vertically straight down between those surfaces.

What about that weird tie-up?

For a countermarche, this is not a normal tie-up. In order to weave this with one treadle for each weft shot, I would need 14 treadles. But I also want to try weaving twill on shafts 1234, so I wanted to keep some treadles available for that.

Also, in reality I'm weaving shafts 5-10 in order for one "pick", but then 10-5 on the next, so I don't get a big float on the side when the weft goes back to the top.

A skeleton tie-up seemed like a good way to deal with that. With a skeleton tie-up, you can treadle with 2 feet to get more combinations than you have treadles for.

I didn't know if that was possible on a countermarche, so I Googled it, and found a great article by Madelyn Van Der Hoogt on the subject, here is a link to the PDF:

http://www.weaversschool.com/docs/Countermarch.pdf

My weaving software doesn't show the bubbles one would normally draw on a countermarche tie-up. If it did, you would see that the 2 treadles for shafts 1-4 are tied up fully, so when 1&3 go down, 2&4 go up, and vice versa. On shafts 5-10, those treadles are tied so that any shaft that isn't going down is going up. So in a sense I've tied up as if I had 2 countermarche looms, one for shafts 1-4, and one for shafts 5-10.

Yes, this means I've effectively avoided doing a proper countermarche tie-up! I'll get to that eventually, I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment